FYE Mentors are trained to help new freshmen and transfer students acclimate to life at Queens College. During weekly office hours held throughout the Fall and Spring semesters, they offer one-to-one support in
- Creating personal time management plans
- Preparing study materials for midterms and finals
- Choosing majors and minors
- Designing schedules for next semester with Degreeworks
- Navigating campus services–including instructors’ office hours—and student organizations
During the summer, FYE Mentors assist students in creating Fall schedules during Freshman Registration sessions.
Students can make appointments with mentors by emailing email@example.com or through the Navigate app (starting Fall 2020). We also welcome drop-ins from 9-5, Monday through Thursday, in Honors Hall 05. If you’d like to read more about the mentors’ majors and interests, you can find their bios here.
Faculty are welcome to refer students to FYE. We can extend personal invitations to meet with mentors to students who may benefit from talking to peers about how to thrive on campus.
How do I become an FYE Mentor?
Are you interested in helping new students develop academically and socially at Queens College? FYE invites students who have been enrolled here for a semester or more to apply for a paid position as an FYE Mentor. Advantages include
- Actively building an inclusive and supportive campus
- Developing leadership skills in FYE’s paid workshops for mentors
- Expanding your knowledge of academic communities
- Practice in applying and interviewing for a professional job
The FYE program begins the process of accepting and reviewing mentor applications from late March into the middle of April. Our application is now CLOSED.